It is a challenge at times to fit running into our lives. We all have multiple commitments and responsibilities vying for our time and energy. How do you fit running into your life?
I have the Boston marathon quickly approaching. Intense intervals and long runs are my goals for the next few weeks. I am increasing my mileage to prepare for this marathon. How do I fit it all in?
1. Remember why you are running – you love it and you know it is good for you! Your life is better for running.
2. Take a day off when you need to and don’t feel bad about it. Allow a day off to energize you for the following day’s run. You will be fresher and you will have allowed yourself to take the break you needed.
3. Mix it up – If you are sick of the winter or the treadmill, do something different for today. I am going to a yoga class tonight. My body and my mind will really appreciate the variety. I need a day off from the treadmill, after yet another winter storm!
4. Use your schedule – prepare and plan. If you are a parent, like me, you will have so many other commitments to juggle. Plan when you will run and guard that time. Don’t allow the possibility of maybe a free moment later in the day to be your maybe run time. That will never happen. Plan and stick to your schedule.
5. Allow your family and friends to support you and keep you accountable. When those who are close to you know how important your running and training is to you, they will support you in finding the time. When my resolve is weak, it is surprising to me how often James will encourage me to fit in my run. It makes a world of difference.