Running Competitions are for everyone.
I believe that all runners, from novice to experienced, to elite runners, benefit from running races. Races come in all forms and variations. Road races, trail races, relay races (teams of people divide up the overall race distance – i.e. The Cabot Trail Relay), survival races (i.e. Tough Mudder) and other new races are making appearances all the time (i.e. Color Me Rad) Races give focus to your training and keep you going when your motivation is lagging. Races are a great celebration of your hard work and a time to connect with other athletes. The focus of your own personal races can vary dramatically as well, from simply finishing a certain distance to having a particular time goal in mind or to finishing in a certain position. The fear that the words “race” or “competition” many instill in some of us (me included) is worth facing. The race experience is life enhancing and the jitters I feel on race morning (or even the evening before) are well worth conquering.
My race season for 2013 is quickly drawing to a close. I have only three trail races left in the Aktiv Trail Race Series for my race line in 2013.
I have had some real highlights this past year:
- Winning the Mississauga Marathon in May and breaking 3 hours – 2:58:23
- Winning the St. Catharines Road Runners Race Series – a variety of distances from 5km to half marathon, with a mixture of road and trail races
I am excited to be planning for my 2014 training and racing season. My focus races are highlighted and the races in between are meant as building up and preparing for the focus races. I will evaluate as time goes on if I need to eliminate some of the less important races, due to other life commitments or for the sake of the key races.
- Robbie Burns 8km Race (Burlington) – January 26
- Valentine’s 5km Race – February 9 – St. Catharines Road Runner Series Race
- Chilly Half Marathon (Burlington) – March 2
- Around the Bay 30k – March 30
- 12 Mile Creek Half Marathon Trail Race – June 7 – St. Catharines Road Runner Series Race
- Niagara Ultra 10k Race – St. Catharines Road Runner Series Race
- Welland HALF TRIATHLON– June 15
- Canal Days 5km Race – August 2 – St. Catharines Road Runner Series Race
- MUSKOKA HALF IRONMAN 70.3 – September 7
- Aktiv Trail Race Series
2014 is the year of the triathlon and my 40th birthday. I have contemplated the triathlon for years, so a milestone birthday, as well as friends who are training with me, are making me finally commit to this goal. I challenge you to consider what new goal or new adventure you will embrace in the coming months and to go for it! Join me in some of these races and let me know which races you are doing!
See you out there on the roads and trails.